Staying hydrated is going to be crucial if you want to perform at your best during your Haute Route event.
It's fair to say that your preparation for this year's events are far from normal and it's likely that you'll be doing a fair bit of your training on the indoor trainer. So, here's some advice on how to stay hydrated during those sweaty sessions on Zwift...
- Indoor training = generally more intense than outdoor training (‘quality’ over ‘quantity’!)
- This often results in higher sweat losses - you’ve probably noticed the pool of sweat under your turbo!
- 2 other factors that influence this = Air Flow and Temperature
- Outdoor training = airflow over the skin, which cools you down
- Indoor training = no/less airflow, sweat drips off you instead, no natural cooling
- This makes staying hydrated really important if you want to maintain your performance
- There are a few simple steps you can take to ensure that you are well hydrated during indoor training sessions…
- Arrive well hydrated but don’t overdo your pre-session intake
- Aim to drink around 500-750ml (16-24oz) of a strong electrolyte drink a few hours before you start key sessions
- Don’t just drink lots of plain water (this can lead to a nasty condition called hyponatremia!)
- Always have fluids available and drink to thirst during the session
- Take this free online Sweat Test to get an idea of what strength drink is right for you and how much you should be drinking
- Think about your recovery after the session
- You'll likely finish dehydrated to some extent. That’s ok as long as it’s not to a degree that has negatively affected your performance
- In most circumstances, simply rehydrating and replenishing electrolytes through food and drink consumed after training is fine
- But, there are times when you might benefit from a proactive approach to rehydration. E.g. when you’re doing back-to-back workouts, or when you’re training late and you’re going to bed soon after finishing, so won’t have much time to eat and drink afterwards
- In these circumstances, drinking a 500ml (16oz) bottle of a stronger electrolyte drink like PH 1500 in the hours after you finish can be beneficial
We hope this helps and that you enjoy the event if and when it goes ahead!
If you want to get some electrolyte drinks that match how you sweat for your training during this unique period, use the code HAUTEROUTE2020 to get 15% off your first order at precisionhydration.com.